Thought I’d share what I’ve got so far on my newest portrait.
I’ve been working on this one off and on for a week or so. Took a break to do a commision but promised myself I’d come back and finish it up. I have a tendency to not go back to things when I step away from them, but I really wanted to follow through on this one.
And just for funsies, here’s a bunch of the progress shots I took as I went.
So what I was doing wasn’t working for me.
The whole serialized chapter thing was great for a while, and I really enjoyed writing in that format, but it was ultimately confusing and overly complicated. Plus, I think that it was hard to sell people on short stories that would eventually become a book, because most people would rather just have a book.
So that’s what I’m going to do. Write books.
Novels specifically, which is what I originally set out to do. When I sat down and decided to write Bloodletting as fiction, the plan was to write it as one giant book with interweaving chapters following different characters, like The Stand or A Song of Fire and Ice. Eventually, I found my way to the serialized chapters format I’ve used for the last couple of years. It never really caught on like I needed it too, so I think a new approach is appropriate.
At this point, it’s grown too big for one novel, so I think instead I’m going to stick with the way they were divided before and compile what I have written and published so far, revising and rewriting as needed, and then just finish the stories out. Charlie will be first, because the story always started with Charlie. As far as the serialized chapters went, her story was fairly close to finished (there was one chapter almost finished in the bank and one more yet to be written) so it’s a natural place to start.
Then it’s just a matter of compiling, revising and rewriting, finishing the story, and publishing. Hopefully, when it’s all said and done, I’ll have Bloodletting all wrapped up and written and I can start on something else. I’ve got a few other stories I want to work on, but I never feel good about starting them because Bloodletting isn’t done yet.
Also, one of the fun things about writing them as novels, is getting hard copies printed up and, hopefully, audiobooks. We’ll see.
I’m trying to refocus things a bit, creatively, and I thought that a good way to start would be to streamline my various projects into one site.
So joehumphrey.com will be where I post all of my art and writing, and will serve as a blog.
There’s two major projects in the works, and I’d like this site to serve as a place that I can talk about those projects, as well as doing some regular old blogging.
The first project is that I’ve been really getting into digital painting. I feel like I’ve gotten to a place where I can start potentially taking commissions, and I’d like to explore that. I plan on setting up a page on this site to display the work I’m doing, and list off some prices and instructions for people interested in having me draw something for them.
The second project is that I’m going to wrap up my book series in a collection of novels, rather than in the serialized chapters I’ve been using so far. While I enjoyed writing that way, I lost momentum and I think that finishing the story as full length novels will be the best way to get the story told and reduce some of the clutter surrounding the series thus far. Plus it gives me an opportunity to revise, edit and rewrite the stories as I convert them into novel form. That way, for people who have read the story so far, they can either find where they left off, or go back to the beginning and reread it with the new, revised material.
Hopefully, this will be a good way to keep me on track and maybe readers who come for the fiction might see the artwork, and people who come for the art might see the fiction. Either way, it will give me a place to put everything I’m working on, rather than trying to spread it out over a bunch of places.
To kick things off, here’s a portrait of Wes Craven I did the other night: